Sunday, June 21, 2015

Guns do not cause HATE.



This is not a Gun/Anti-Gun control blog entry. Let's get that straight from the start.  I'd like to take a moment to talk about the senseless killings in Charleston, SC this past week.

A 21 year old white male entered a church, prayed with those inside and after some time, got up and proceeded to kill.  All the victims were non-white.

First, let me say that my heart goes out to the families of the innocent victims who perished. In a larger sense, we are all victims of this crime. This was not a crime of gun control. It was a crime of ignorance and racism. This crime was fueled by irrational hatred; plain and simple. So, let's examine how that happens.

Irrational hatred like racism is LEARNED behavior.  Children, while young do not even notice race. They have no concept of racial difference. I lived all over the world with my wife and children. The military is truly a melting pot. There are families from all racial backgrounds. My children were friends with all of the other children. None of them were identified by race.

In my home, all are welcome. I ask that you refrain from smoking in the house. Otherwise, speak your mind as long as it is not hostile or hate filled. If you feel a need to voice hostility or hate, may I suggest a mental health professional?

Hate is learned. Children learn it from adults. It may start out simply and innocently enough. A joke here and there can't hurt, right? Well, maybe not. You never know what children will pick up on. But, even the best intentions for our children can not protect them from hearing hate.

Children are not under our watch 24/7. They attend schools. They play together in parks. Not all parents share your values of trying to live "hate free." We don't live in laboratories after all.

Now we come to the big question. How do we, as a society, stop this irrational hate and racism? The answer can be stated simply  but it is much harder to put into practice.

Look at my question carefully. "How do we, as a society, stop this irrational hate and racism?"

The answer to the problem lies within the question itself. We, as a society must decide that we will no longer tolerate the teaching of hate and racism. We need to take the bigots and put them out of business.

People of all races who espouse hate are the ones who cause incidents like we saw this week. Groups like the KKK and so called "leaders" who live on the fear and misery of the downtrodden and and uneducated are the causes of tragedies like last week's shooting.

These so called leaders love to blame others for all the problems of society. They rarely accomplish anything but create greater divides in society. They love to point out our differences instead of celebrating our commonality.

Each January, we take a day and remember Dr. King. During his lifetime, the civil rights movement made great strides towards equality in race relations in America. I'm afraid that since the good doctor's death, the civil rights cause has moved backwards further than anyone would have imagined.

We live in the 21st century. I think it's high time that we began to act like the advanced civilized beings we hold ourselves up to be. Irrational hate and racism had no place in our society 160 years ago and it certainly has no place now.

We, as a civilization must stop tolerating this.  I live in city where I am the minority. I honestly don't care. I take people as they come to me. If they treat me with courtesy and respect, I return the same. Otherwise, I just can't be bothered.

So, I've spoken my mind. It's just my humble opinion. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

As always...

No comments:

Post a Comment