Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Suicide ain't painless....


The world lost an amazing talent yesterday when Robin Williams died in an apparent suicide.  I feel for his family and pray that they will get through this time of horrible grief with as little intrusion as possible. We live in an information hungry world and in the case of death, we have for some reason, an insatiable desire for information. Maybe that is part of our way of dealing with the unknowns of death. That conversation can be for another day. Today's topic is much closer at hand.

I want to talk to you all about mental illness.  When I heard the news of Mr. Williams' death, I was shocked and when I spoke of it aloud, someone in the room said "That's crazy." Well, yes it is. Suicide is not the act of a rational mind. it is the final desperate act of someone who is so ill that they are not thinking clearly and they believe that there is no reasonable alternative to stop the pain  caused by whatever internal struggle they are dealing with.

News reports of this particular death have focused on the fact that Mr. Williams  had a history of addiction. His past addictions are well documented. Further, reports have stated that the "Star" had financial issues and that the cancellation of his recent television program did not help.  It does no good to speculate as to what the cause of this final act was. The fact remains that we and most likely his family do not know exactly what was in his mind when he made that final decision and followed through with it. Except possibly, feelings of despair.

Now, a good many of you can say that with his resources, he could have sought professional help. He very well may have been in the midst of that exact help. The problem is, mental health is not always exact. Sometimes the caregiver is unable to tell that the patient has made a decision. Believe me, that provider is feeling the loss as if a member of his own family had died.

My personal opinion is that Robin Williams was a great talent and fine American. He gave us all hundreds of hours of laughter and tears. He donated his own time to entertain our troops overseas and supported the USO unfailingly. From all reports he was a loyal friend and a good husband and father.

So, what can we take from this tragedy? We must strive to find something positive in all things; what in this? It's simple.

Suicide is NOT painless (like the song says). It ends pain for the victim but intensifies pain for everyone who was touched by that life. Believe me, we all touch so many lives, we have no idea.

Of this, I know what I am speaking. When you are so deeply depressed that you contemplate ending your own life, you believe that it is the right thing to do. The decision seems logical and very clear.  I don't care how much education in the area of mental health you may have, you pay no attention to it.  This is were we as friends and family come in.

It is up to us to know what to look for. If you know someone who is depressed, guide them towards help before the condition worsens to the point of physical harm. Depression is an actual illness. It can be treated. I do not understand why mental/emotional disorders are still thought of with some sort of stigma. It's as if people believe if we do not talk about mental illness, it will quietly go away. We need to have this discussion.

Some 22 years ago, I was suicidal. Fortunately, my mother noticed through phone conversations that something was very wrong and convinced me to get help. If not for that help, I most likely would not be here today. I can look back now and say with conviction that the outcome of my premature death would have been the worst thing imaginable for not just me but, my family would have suffered a blow that they might not have recovered from.

Now, I look back at that time and I wonder how could I have even considered such a thing. You see, it is crazy. With treatment you can be helped. I just needed someone who cared about me to get me to seek help.

Now, I am not saying that Robin Williams just needed someone to help him. I don't know his situation. I do know that suicide is not the act of a rational mind. Leave it at that. This particular death gives us a good reason to begin the discussion.

If you are concerned about depression in yourself or others, there are resources available. Find them and use them. If all else fails, call a friend and tell them how you are feeling until you can get the professional help you might require.

If you know someone who is struggling with depression or some other mental illness, help them get help. If you can, be there for them.

Let's not let the tragedy of this death fade away out of the news cycle. Resolve to be a friend to someone in need. Help them if you can. I don't think it's to much to ask.

For Robin Williams, I wish you peace. I hope the demons have stopped. Rest well. For the Williams family, I pray that you can cope with this most difficult of deaths and move on with your lives.

As always...

No comments:

Post a Comment