Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Who's promoting racism now?



Let's get a few things straight before we even begin. I could care less about race. First of all; Race is a a term which was originally coined by anthropologists in order to categorize various cultures in "Scientific" study. As originally used, it had no bearing on anything but social constructs. So, the term "Racism" was not even mentioned. Second; I am Navy trained. To quote my Recruit Company Commander: "There is no race in the Navy. We are all HAZE GRAY!"  That concept may sound humorous to some and simplistic to others but there are very simple and practical applications  of this rule.

This "Haze Gray" rule becomes very clear in emergent situations such as combat or fire on board ships, at sea.  For those of you who have never been to sea and thus never experienced the "Joy" of a fire on the ship, I shall explain.

At sea there is no greater hazard to the ship or the lives of the Sailors who operate her. One can not simply "Call the fire Department." We, the crew, ARE the fire department. We must put the fire out. I have been on the business end of the fire hose, in a burning steel compartment. I can promise you that the last thing of concern to me was the color of the skin of the guy behind me. With today's Navy having women assigned as regular members of the ship's compliment, I can promise you that the gender of the person behind me would be of no concern either.

My concern is simple. Will that person reach into the fire, thus risking their life to save me if the need arises? That's all I care about. Character.

Moving along.

We are all familiar with the "unpleasantness" in Ferguson, MO. Certainly, I do not understand how rioting and looting will promote any cause. The rioting will not bring the dead back to life and if he was wrongly fired upon by police, no justice will be served by destroying the town and allowing the protests to expand to St. Louis.

I think it was absolutely wrong of the President of the United States to make any comments about the situation prior to the investigation and justice system running it's course. At this point, the issue has so polarized the public; I believe that if, in fact, wrongdoing is found and the police officer is brought to trial; the case should be dismissed. I do not know any place in the country that the officer, if indicted, could receive a fair trial.

Federal charges are also out of the question. With the President and the Attorney General making public statements regarding this case, a Federal jury would be hard pressed to be impartial.

So, what is left to discuss? Carpetbaggers! Seekers of opportunity who stir up trouble from the outside in the guise of "justice for the downtrodden." They stir up this unrest while they hold out their hands asking those who can least afford it for donations to THEIR cause.

These interlopers stir the pot of hate and mistrust to a frenzy and walk away smiling. All the while they try and quote Dr. King.

But, there is a problem. You see, I was 12 when Dr. King was killed. I remember the marches and I remember the riots. As an adult I always thought that if Dr. King were alive, he would have asked everyone to stop, go home, clean up and meet him at a Church. After a prayer service, he would lead a march. There would be speeches and maybe some little bit of change would come of all the hate and discontent.

I realize that the people who are rightly or wrongly upset in Ferguson, have a need to take some type of tangible action. but the destruction of their town is not a memorial to anyone and it's certainly not the way they will want to remember the summer of 2014, 20 years from now.

I remember what riots looked like. I remember seeing the 1967 riots in Newark, New Jersey. You see,  good people were swept up along with the "bad." I remember the scared look on the faces of the folks being thrown up against the walls of buildings by armed National Guard troops.  I don't think anyone needs or wants to go back to a scene like that. I know that I don't.

The answer doesn't lie with the words of division spouted by the famous and infamous who reside in the media and call themselves Reverend. Most of us see them for who they are. They are opportunists of the worst kind and they will also receive their just reward at another time.

Although we are not in Ferguson, MO. When you look at the news of the rioting, I would urge you to also go on YOUTUBE and look up "I have a dream."

You see, two of Dr. King's lessons were: 1. The death of ANYONE to violence is a tragedy. 2. Although you may feel that violence is the answer to a seemingly senseless death, the only way to prevent it's recurrence is through PEACE. .

That is Character.... He had a dream.

As always...


No comments:

Post a Comment