Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Happiness is a warm Puppy

Wow! Two posts to the Blog in one day. This is either something to celebrate or worry about. I prefer to think of it as an example of why this Blog is named as it is. My son is taking a snooze. There is nothing on TV that interests me at the moment and my shoulder hurts so badly that it is difficult to concentrate on reading. All of these things happening at once means I've been thinking; a dangerous activity.

One of my absolute favorite cartoons ( in the newspaper not TV) was "Peanuts" by the late Charles M. Shultz. He was a modern Philosopher and artist all rolled up in one package. What was inspiring then (the mid 1960's) was that through his work, even young children could understand a message. Peanuts was about friendship, loyalty, heroism and success. Even Charlie Brown had a chance to kick that football. He probably would have if not for Lucy. But in the end, the gang were all friends and stuck by each other.

Mr. Shultz is gone now. He died very shortly after ending Peanuts. But, Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the gang live on. That is the wonder of Peanuts: it stands the test of time.

There are many truisms when reading Peanuts. One that is particularly strong with me is pictured above. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a DOG person. I will tolerate cats in other people's homes. I just don't like them for myself. I have a friend who had a cat that was cool. It was the only one I ever saw that I liked. I am firmly a member of team "Dog".

Our family did not have a dog until I was about 12. My father would not allow any 4 legged creature in his house or near him in those days. When my parents were divorced my mother got a miniature schnauzer. She refered to getting the dog as her first act of defiance.

As an adult, I did not get a dog for my family until after I retired from the Navy. I think it was the fall of 1999 that we got Buttons.

Buttons was a Cocker Spaniel mix and I can honestly say she was a wonderful dog. She was given to us by a friend who needed to find homes for some puppies.  She called me and I asked my wife. Even today, my wife will tell you that I made this "little boy, pleading" face. She says it was so cute, I couldn't be refused. I believe that I did indeed make the face because, let's face it; I really wanted a dog. All through my time in the service, we moved around and it just didn't seem practical for our family to own a dog. so, once given the chance to have what I was denied as a kid, I jumped at the chance. 

The puppy was picked up and I fell in love with her. She was very small, just a ball of fur really. But, she was just a little ball of love and fun. I stayed up with her for 2 months, house training her. I must say, the devotion to her training paid off. She never had an accident after her training. She was a wonderful dog. The most amazing thing about Buttons was that I loved her and she loved me right back. She would look up at me with those big brown doggie eyes and you would swear that she was saying that she loved me. She loved everyone in the family, but she really loved me. It was agreed that Buttons was the family dog, but she was really my puppy. 

After Buttons was all trained, it was like having another child in the house. My wife and I used to joke that we should have had puppies long ago. They are so much easier than children and they don't talk back.

Another advantage to having a dog was unplanned. Our oldest son has special needs. Autism is a broad term and I can tell you from experience, it has a broad set of symptoms. But, that's for another posting. Perhaps, after we all get to know each other better I will tell you more about my son. For now, I can tell you that Buttons was the greatest thing ever to happen to that little boy's life.

My son would spend hours playing with the puppy. In the house. In the back yard. It didn't matter. One of the funniest sights I ever saw as this little black and white dog (she weighted less than 35 pounds) running on a leash and a grown boy running down the street, holding on for dear life;  trying to keep up. Who was walking whom? 

Have you ever watch "The Flintstones"? Who remembers what would happen when Fred would come home and Dino the dinosaur would greet him? That's what would happen every day when my son came home from school. Buttons would know it was nearly time for Bobbert to get home and he would wait by the back door for his Buddy. Bobbert would enter and Buttons would start to bark and jump as if saying : "Play with me! Play with me! I've waited like a good girl all day for you to get home. Now it's time to PLAY!" My son would rush into the living room and lay on the floor. This little dog would pin him down and start licking his face. She was just enraptured with Bobbert. All this time, Bobbert is laughing and smiling. After a few minutes of this, it was time for walks and Bobbert would take her out. 

My son loved what he would come to call "The Dino Maneuver" 

As happens, Buttons got old and with advancing age came health problems. My puppy died last year. She waited for me to get home after my bypass surgery (Cardiac not Gastric). We all miss her. On days like today, when I have time to think in the quiet, I miss her more. 

We have another dog. Mindy is a black Lab mix. Mix of what, we are not sure. She is not nearly as smart as Buttons was but, she's a good dog. I look around and she is not in the living room. She is probably on my bed. I have to break her of that habit. 

Although we have Mindy, it's not the same as Buttons. Mindy is my youngest daughter's dog. I just don't have the same emotional connection with her that I had with Buttons. Don't get me wrong. It's wonderful having a dog in the house and I am glad we have Mindy. I just miss my little Buttons.

Mr. Shultz was right. Happiness is a warm puppy. Thanks Charlie Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment