Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Life isn't instant!

I started my day today with a session of Physical Therapy. I go to the Naval Hospital 3 times a week for therapy to treat my "frozen" shoulder. No one can tell me exactly why it became "frozen" but, it is. It seems the best treatment is Physical Therapy.

As usual, the staff at the clinic are very nice to me. I am greeted with smiles by the nice lady at reception. When I check in at the desk in the exercise treatment room, the same smiles greet me. I begin my session with 6 minutes on the arm bike. This is not to difficult at first. 3 minutes forward, followed by 3 minutes in reverse. It's the 3 minutes in reverse that always get me the most. Goodness! This is serious pain. It's a deep sharp pain, deep in the joint. If you can avoid it, I recommend doing so.  This is not fun. If I was not awake before, I am now. But, with pain medications coursing through my system, I plod ahead.

Eventually, my treatment session moves from warm ups to manual manipulation of my shoulder. This is where some real pain has occurred. Since the goal of this evolution is not to further injur the joint, the Corpsmen are very sensitive to my reactions to their manipulations. The Petty Officer works carefully and eventually says that I see to have made some progress. I thank him and comment that all things in life take time. The Corpsmen remarks that although that is true,  it would be nice if things in life moved along faster. I just smiled.

When we are young, we wish that life would progress more quickly. As children, we couldn't wait to be just a little older. We want to be just old enough to go to the movies without Mom. We can't wait to be old enough to drive. 

Most girls can't wait to be able to wear make-up or high heels. Boys can't wait to shave. In short, we all want life to move along faster.

Like good barbecue, worthwhile things in life, take time. More than 30 years ago, my future wife and I sat in front of the Chaplain at a Naval Training Center in Florida. We were there to talk about getting married. The Chaplain told us that, although he could see we seemed to love each other, real love, a lasting love will grow and take time. But, he told us, if we worked at  growing our relationship and lived up to the commitment of marriage, later in life, we would be rewarded. 

That Chaplain was right. With commitment and hard work, 32 years later, we are sill married. We tell each other that we love the other several times a day. Life can be good, but not instant.

Like the recovery of my shoulder, worthwhile things take time. Don't be in such a rush. Before you know it, you will have reached your goals and will wonder where the time has gone.  Patience is a virtue. Life isn't instant. 

By the way: I still may complain that my shoulder and arm hurt.



No comments:

Post a Comment