Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Is a pledge still a pledge if...???


Oh, NO! Bob is going to talk of patriotism again. Yesterday I spoke of traditions so, it seemed only natural that today I would talk patriotism and how it is manifested in our country.

I would like to start with the "Pledge of Allegiance". I think we all know it but, if you have forgotten it, see bellow. There is an ongoing debate in the country as to weather the Pledge should be recited in school. I have my own personal feelings on the matter and will not publish them here. Those who know me personally can pretty well guess how I feel or ask me privately, I'll be happy to share. I would like to talk about the Pledge in a larger more public policy context.

Why do people get so up in arms about the Pledge of Allegiance? When I was a child, we used to recite it each and every morning. It was a part of the school day. As little kids, we never really had the meaning of the words of this particular patriotic activity explained to us. It was only when I was older that I gained any understanding of the meaning of the Pledge.

So, as a matter of public policy, let's take a look at the meaning involved here. We are pledging our allegiance to a "Flag". Furthermore, we are swearing allegiance to "The Republic for which it Stands". (I have no issue with One Nation, Under God, with Liberty etc...)

Now strictly as a matter of public policy, I could see how some may have a problem with some of the ideas in this pledge. Even those in the uniformed service of our country do not pledge loyalty to the Republic. We swear to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. A subtle difference indeed but, a difference none the less.

Furthermore, we as a society have agreed that citizens of other countries who may be visiting our happy shores are entitled to utilize our public school system. As citizens of other countries, would they be required to recite the same pledge? If not, must they stand? If so, what if they were to refuse? They certainly would have a valid reason for not standing during a Completely American pledge of loyalty which they have no desire to participate. I would fully support their non-participation.

Let us say for the sake of that same public policy that participation in the pledge is not a requirement, nor is standing for non-participants. Does that not open those same non-participants up to ridicule and bullying at worst and questions and gossip at best?

These are all questions which must be asked. I, of course have a solution. (Don't I usually?). If, as a parent you would like your child to be exposed to  things such as this pledge, I recommend Scouts or JROTC.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Strong words. I always said them without being compelled to do so. That's what a pledge is all about.

As Always...

No comments:

Post a Comment