Monday, January 13, 2014

What do you do with your Personal Values?


Call them what you will: Personal Values, Core Values, Religious Values, Commandments, they are all the same things. They are a list of rules by which we each choose to live our lives.

For the most part, we learn these "rules" early in life. Usually in "Sunday School" and reenforced in our homes by family. Many choose the values they wish to live their lives by as young adults, after they have experienced some of life on their own.

In our society, we value honesty above most other characteristics. Most other personal values flow from honesty.

I learned my "core values" in military school as a child and teenager. So, when the time came for the U.S. Navy to officially promulgate a set of core values, the words "Honor, Courage and Commitment" did not put forth new ideas for me.

Call me an idealist but, when the Navy put forth these three words as their core values, they chose very well because I believe these three simple words very clearly convey the ideas that are best in our society; not just in the Navy.

But, for any set of values to be effective, they must be put into practice. In the case of the Department of the Navy, they can not just simply be words emblazoned on a wall for all to see. They must become part of the fabric of daily life. We have to live our values or they become just words with no meaning at all.

Our values are like the lines on the highway. They keep us on the proper road. They are a guide. The other day, as a patient in the hospital, the Corpsman; in the company of the nurse asked me an ethical question. Since just telling the young Sailor the answer would not have taught him anything, I answered him with a question of my own. "What do the Core Values tell you to do?" The Sailor looked at me perplexed.

This was the perfect example of the problem I am speaking to. With untold hours of training in "Core Values", this young Sailor did not know how to apply the words that he had learned.

I could go into a dissertation of my interpretation of the Department of the Navy's Core Values but, I'm sure most of you know how I feel about the words "Honor, Courage and Commitment." So, let me take this opportunity to change it up just a little and talk of responsibility.

Our values give us each a responsibility within our society. The final goal is to be a "good citizen". How do we achieve that goal of "good citizenship?" We all must become leaders within our little corner of society. The most humble amongst us has the same leadership responsibility as the most exalted. This is what I told that young Hospital Corpsman. As a HN (E-3), his leadership responsibilities were no different than the Admiral who was in command of the hospital. Within his little corner of the "Navy world", he had an equal responsibility to lead as the Admiral does for the entire hospital. Be responsible.

We see a lack of personal responsibility all the time. Everyone has an excuse. Everyone has a reason why they failed to do something. Take a look at Daytime Television. The talk shows are jammed with people who don't know who the fathers of their multiple children are. If they do know, the father has a reason why he has failed to provide for those children and further why he continues to inseminate various women with no regard for the consequences. Further, he is proud of his actions. A total lack of responsibility or values is evident.

At what point does personal responsibility become a factor in one's life? For most, it begins at a young age. My little granddaughter is already at the age where if she misbehaves she receives a negative consequence and must take the responsibility for what she has done. If not, she's right back in that "time out" chair. So, if my granddaughter can learn responsibility at the age of 17 months, why can't a 21 year old?

So many people think that as soon as they get old enough to leave home or wander the streets, the lessons taught to them by their families are voided. We need to get away from all the political correctness and get back to the basic principles of civilized society. Everyone needs to once again be responsible for their actions.

Before any of my liberal friends get up in arms, I am not talking some "Tea Party" family/American values silliness.  I find it interesting that the people screaming the loudest for a return to "American Values" are the first ones to break those values. I'm not talking about some unrealistic, public stance. I'm talking about a personal and private commitment between yourself and your conscience. No one else need know. Your actions will speak of your character and your values.

It's a simple promise. To try your best to do your best and do the right thing, every time; without regard for recognition or reward. That's the first step. If everyone tried to do that, we would be a lot further along as a civilized society.

OK, I could go on about this subject for hours but, I fear that I will get boring, preachy and repetitive. Did I include repetitive?

I just wanted to write down a few words that might give us all pause. Please have a good day. For all who sent me their good thoughts during my recent surgery, I thank you sincerely. You all always keep me humble.

As always...


No comments:

Post a Comment