Thursday, September 5, 2013

Unconditional Love

Much has been said on the internet about a mother's reaction to her son's "coming out" on Facebook. Although I felt it was a touching story, well presented when I saw it on Facebook, now it is "in the news" also.

When did something that should be normal become newsworthy? I'm talking about unconditional love. Parents are supposed to have it for their children. Family members are supposed to have it for each other. Maybe I am wrong. As my psychaitrist father would say: "Let's explore this".

I'm a Dad. I have always believed that being a good father was my most important job. After all, I would never get a second chance to raise my children. I always taught my kids that no matter what the issue, they could come to me. Certainly, I would always love them. I will go a step further, being gay is not something I would even consider turning my back on a child for. 

If one of my children announced to me that they were gay, no matter what vehicle they used to make this earth shattering revelation, I can tell you all with the most authority I can muster, I would say: OK. We would then move on. 

Many of you may shake your heads and say that I am being politically correct. I beg to differ. Why would I turn my back on my own child for being who they are and admitting it? It's like saying I won't speak to you any more because you didn't eat your dinner. Please. Are there other problems we can discuss? It's simple folks. A parent should not be a source of problems or anxiety in their child's lives. Parents are supposed to be "safe harbors" for their children. We are not just part of the solution. We are the solution for children. We are always supposed to be there for our children, no matter their age.

My oldest child is in her early 30s, married and she is a Mom. If she had a problem and wanted my help, I am a phone call or text message away. I am not saying that we must solve every problem our adult children have but rather, we are part of the solution, as a minimum. Certainly, we are not here to criticize and make the problem worse.

From my own experience I can tell a story.  I adore my sister. She has always been there for me. My sister is gay. She was "in the closet" for many years. We all knew, of course. We are not stupid after all. But, my sister remained hiden. Several years ago, she finally came out. I was very happy for her. Imagine the weight that was lifted from her shoulders when she was finally able to be truthful about herself to those around her. I asked her, what took so long. She gave me an answer that I don't remember. In essence, she couldn't say why. I always thought it was a matter of trust.

In any relationship, trust is the foundation. It has to be. Weather my sister trusted me or not, I don't know. I'm glad she eventually came out to me. By the way, my love for her has not diminished in the least. Her partner is a wonderful woman whom I am very glad to consider my sister also. They are happy. That's what matters. It's not news worthy. It just is a fact of life.

I have friends who happen to have gay children. Guess what. They love their gay child just as much as their other children. It's not an issue. Of course it isn't. Unconditional Love is exactly that. Unconditional!

When did something normal become news? I just can't picture Walter Cronkite, in bygone days, leading off the national news with: "Today in Ohio, 500 parents hugged their children."

I love my children no matter what.  It's that simple. I doubt that will be on the news.

1 comment: