Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Second Chances.

Today I am happy. No, it's not because I've taken happy pills. Although, the happy pills pictured above are non-narcotic and may be habit forming. They are made of chocolate! I thought starting today off with a little whimsey would be a good thing.

You see, today is a very special day. It's not a sad day, by any means. Today, I was given a very special gift. I was given a second chance at life.

For years, I had heart problems. Because of my heart, I've spent so much time in the Naval Hospital, the staff on the step down ward knew me by sight. We used to joke that they had a room with my name on it at all times. The Emergency room folks also knew me by my first name. I had 13 stents in my heart.

Around the middle of September, last year, I was once again experiencing chest pain and off to the ER at the Naval Hospital we went. Tests showed I had indeed had another heart attack. After waiting a day or two for some medications to leave my system (I was taking a diabetes medication that interferes with imaging.), I was taken into the Cath lab and the doctor said those famous words that ultimately changed my life: "You need bypass surgery and you need to quit smoking or you're going to die."

While still in the lab, I met my surgeon. It's all kind of a fog since I was heavily medicated at the time. By the time I was returned to my room, I was lucid enough to remember things more clearly. I remember this as clear as day. My wife was in my room, waiting for me. As I was wheeled in, I told her to get rid of any cigarettes we had at home. She told me that she already had. This time, I was not upset about it.

I informed the doctors of my resolve to quit smoking and in an effort to assist me, I was prescribed the medication "Chantix". Unfortunately, one of the side effects of this medication is chest pain! So, the evening before my bypass surgery, I was admitted to the hospital as a precaution.

I remember being prepared for surgery. It all had a surreal quality to it. I had to keep reminding myself that this was not a movie or TV program. This was real life. My Life! I remember saying goodbye to my wife and youngest daughter. My oldest was home with their new baby. In spite of the medications, I began to get scared.

I was wheeled down a long hall and through several sets of heavy double doors. Eventually, a door opened to a room that was very brightly lit. It was a beehive of activity. People in masks and surgical gowns were all over the room busily setting up equipment. It seems louder in my memory than it probably was. Although I couldn't see any faces, everyone who spoke to me, knew my name. They all wanted to know my birthday. I remember thinking that maybe they were planning a surprise. (Good drugs.)

I honestly don't remember my surgeon coming in the room. Someone, I assume an anesthesiologist warned me that they were putting medication into my IV and I needed to count backwards from...

I woke up more than a week later. The stories of my recovery are for a different time. I remember being a little frightened of my surroundings. I remember the looks on my family's faces. There was a mixture of fear and relief.

Eventually I was moved to a room on the "Step-down" ward. The place I had started. There have been 1 or 2 more hospital stays since. all related to known complications of open heart surgery. But, on the whole, I'm doing well.

I go to the Cardiologist today. The last time I had seen her, she reduced some of my medication. That made me very happy. She told me that I was doing well and she was pleased.

My doctor also told me something very interesting. I had been following the prescribed program after this ordeal. She credited my following it with my success in recovery. But, she said that many post-surgical patients, do not. It seems that many people believe that, if they can be saved once, they can be saved again. My doctor told me the sad truth. Unfortunately, many of those patients who don't "get with the program" post-surgery do not survive long enough to make it to her table for "saving" a second time.

I read an interesting statistic. Even in this day and age of amazing medical science, the leading indicator of a second heart attack is (can you guess?) death!

So, you can be sure, I will do my best to follow the doctor's advice. I don't want to join those statistics.

It would seem that my "second chance" is going well. I just got back from my Cardiologist. She tells me that I am doing just fine and doesn't need to see me for 6 more months. She did indeed tell me that I have become the exception to the recovery rule because I am following the "program". She was glad that I got to see my granddaughter's 1st birthday. If I keep going as I have been, there is no reason why I shouldn't see her 20th birthday or even more.

Not to bad for a guy who, just a year ago needed open heart surgery. Thanks to the staff of the Naval Hospital. Thanks for the second chance. I won't squander it.

No comments:

Post a Comment