Thursday, October 24, 2013

Do we really believe what we see in the media?

It is said that we live in the "Information Age". This, on the surface; seems like it would be a good thing. However, as the internet has come into wider usage and portable communications devices have become more convenient, the misuse of information has become common place.

More and more, publications which used to be trusted as bastions of legitimate news and information have given way to sensationalism. Hard print media is fast becoming extinct.

Here's a prime example. I just started up my local news paper delivery again. They were running a special and since my daughter is aggressively looking for employment, I decided to subscribe to the paper for a while. I remember the days when the Sunday paper was so thick, it weighed sever pounds. Imagine my surprise when my Sunday paper arrived and it was about half an inch thick. In the old days (not so long ago) you could subscribe to the Sunday paper and have news reading for a week. This little paper that I received was 15 minutes reading, at best!

So, I am stuck with the internet for my news. For me, this is not a big problem. I know how to use my browser to find several points of view on the same story. I don't just rely on one news site. I also know where to check my facts. I never thought I would need to have a web site that tells me if something is true or not. In this day and age, "Snopes.com" is a necessity, not a luxury.

Let's just look at one ridiculous stories you can find very easily in the media.

Peyton Manning is making us fat!
Yes. This story suggested that Mr. Manning was responsible for the proliferation of obesity in North America because he lends his face and voice to  brands such as Papa John's Pizza, Double Stuf Oreos and other assorted "junk" foods. Really? I don't eat Papa John's Oreo Cookies or drink Soda. Why? I'm diabetic and have cardiac issues. I am trying to live a healthier life. I don't care what Peyton Manning advertises.  But, people believe what they read on line.

There was a commercial on television, not long ago. In it the lead character said "You can only put the truth on the internet". Obviously, this was part of the humor of the advertisement but, there was a grain of truth in the public perception.

Many people believe that if they see it in print, either in a hard copy or on line; it's got to be true. I know that there used to be trusted news sources but, those days have long passed. The media has become so slanted that it is difficult to find any single news source that tells the real story. The facts get twisted to fit the politics of the particular publisher.

Here in Virginia, we will be electing a new Governor in November. Because of the political bias of the various news outlets, I am hard pressed to find out what the real story is on either candidate. All the news stories seem like political advertisements written by the various campaigns. For the first time in my life, I am not sure who I will vote for, this close to the election.

So, the question remains. How do we find real news and information? The old fashioned way. A little bit of research goes a long way. Don't just settle on one source for your information.  Check several periodicals (Your public Library still has them). Use search engines when using the internet and check several web sources. Try and stick to trusted news sources.

My point is simple: Even though we live in an "Information Age" all that means is that the delivery of information to our door has become easier. It is easy for all. The legitimate as well as the hokey can get to you. You have to be discriminating in what you believe.

As far as Peyton Manning being responsible for my weight; I think it was the diet I was on. They called it the "See food" diet. I would see food and so I would eat it!

As Always...


No comments:

Post a Comment