Monday, October 21, 2013

Modern Vocabulary

How we speak is how the world sees us. It is our intellectual appearance. A good vocabulary was essential for survival in every day life just as in business and formal life.

Well, that's the theory. It doesn't see to be that way any more. When I was growing up, the use of profanity in every day speech was not just frowned upon, it was prohibited. If you did let a profane word or phrase slip, you were called to task very quickly. I remember being told, more than once that excessive use of profanity is the sign of a weak vocabulary.

Now, it seems that one's vocabulary is irrelevant. If we don't know the correct word, just make it up. If enough people make up the word and use it, it will wind up in the dictionary of slang!

I will warn you right now. If I were interviewing someone for a position with a company and the applicant used the word "CONVERSATE"; interview concluded. Don't expect a call back or second interview. You've lost the job. For your information: You can have or be involved in a "conversation". If you are an expert in a particular subject you are said to be "conversant" in it. You are not "Conversating"! The act of being in a conversation is "Conversing".

I occasionally watch "Judge Judy" on television. Her Honor, Judge Sheindlin is great! She allows for no "street" language in her court.  On many occasions, I have seen her correct those who have run afoul of the every day use of correct english.

The use of the english language seems like a simple thing to ask for in America. It seems that it's harder to find then you may expect. In conversation, I attempt to speak correctly; using proper grammar and vocabulary. Yet, I have been referred to as a snob because I speak well. I've said it before. My parents spent a lot of money to educate me. Am I expected to not utilize that education now that I am in the real world?

This goes back to a perception problem.  Am I perceived as elitist because I am well spoken? I suppose I could be accused of "making" someone feel "bad" because I speak correctly. Let's examine this.

First of all, only you can make yourself feel "less than". You allow it to happen. Why should you care if I have a better vocabulary than you?

Second. why feel bad at all? If you feel that your skills are not up to what the "market" requires, do something about it. Most municipalities have Adult Education facilities at a very reasonable cost. IF you can not afford the class, teach yourself. Buy a book. If you have trouble reading, find someone who will help you. You can learn at any age. There are things that you can do to improve yourself.

Just don't blame me. I'm not the one who didn't pay attention in school. I finished High School and went on to take College courses. No one told me to do it. I did it because I wanted to learn and the chance to do so was available.

Sometimes, I wonder what language people are speaking in public. Go to your local grocery store and just listen. A week or two ago, I had to shop for some groceries in Walmart. The commissary was closed due to the government shutdown. I overheard a young man speaking to a woman who seemed to be his living companion. There appeared to be a slight disagreement going on about who was the better shopper. I think, that is what the conversation was about. It went something like this:

Male: "You know I make better groceries than you do."

Female: "No you don't. You knows I makes better groceries thens you! I always does!"

I don't even want to try and correct that exchange. I moved on , shaking my head.

I don't expect that we all speak as William Shakespeare. Language and usage does evolve over time, but please, can we make an effort not to sound so uneducated that the language becomes unidentifiable?

We are judged not only by how we look in life but also how we speak. There is no shame in speaking well. You might even be remembered for it.

As Always...

No comments:

Post a Comment