Friday, November 8, 2013

They'er going to make me better, stronger, faster!



Oh, wait... That's the 6,000,000 dollar man. They are just going to make me able to live my life with less pain. But, I am leaving for the hospital in just a few minutes. The problem is my shoulder. For nearly a year it has been very painful. I've tried everything including drugs and physical therapy. Surgery is the last option.

I'm going to Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth. It's just a few minutes from my home and I've been there many times. In fact, I was born there.

The hospital facilities have changed greatly in 57 years. The hospital itself has been serving the military and their families since 1830. It was the first Naval Hospital in the country. This gives special meaning to the command's motto: "First and Finest."

So, some time after 0600, I will be anesthetized and the fine Navy doctors will tear up my shoulder, file down a bone spur and try to alleviate the pain of arthritis by removing some bone from my shoulder. This all sounds pretty complicated to me but, my doctor assures me that this is not his first day on the job and he has done the same procedure many times. So, here's keeping my fingers crossed.

While I am unconscious, my doctor from ENT will give repairing my paralyzed vocal cord another go. Hopefully, I might come out of this with a voice that can be heard again. We can only hope.

In any case, I have faith in my doctors and know they will do their best for a positive outcome. Anything less is just too much paper work.

Because of all of this, it may be a little while before I am able to publish my blog again. I will do my best to be at the computer as quickly as I can. I do enjoy the writing and appreciate the loyalty of all of you who regularly read my ramblings.

For all the good wishes I have received and prayers for a speedy recovery, I can only thank you all. You are all my friends and I am grateful for each and every one of you. 

I'll be talking to you all soon. My Facebook page should have updates.

As Always...

No comments:

Post a Comment