Monday, December 2, 2013

It's December!!!


November has said it's goodbyes to us and as we fondly remember the Thanksgiving feast, it's time to think about December and all that it brings.

In our house, the day after Thanksgiving is time to put the Christmas tree up. As you can imagine, after 32 years of marriage, we do have a fine eclectic assortment of ornaments to adorn the family Christmas tree. Imagine my delight when I found the above Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the tree, this morning.  For some reason, I had forgotten that we had this particular ornament.

I am particularly moved by this decoration because the Marine Corps holds such an important place on our family and in the families of so many of my friends. This ornament reminds us to hold a special place in our hearts for not only the Marines but for all who serve.

As I looked over my Facebook page this morning, I noticed something that always warms my soul. I have a friend who just adores her Granddaughter. This is a sentiment that I can fully understand. I am also the grandparent of a little girl and my Granddaughter holds a very special and honored place in my heart.

It always makes me smile when I read about this particular friend when she talks of her granddaughter. I'll tell you this; this child has the ability to melt the Grinch's heart. She has a smile that lights up a room and eyes that sparkle in a way that is difficult to describe. Best of all, her Grandmother is called "Grammie!"

Of course my friend is a terrific Grandmother. Her name is Grammie! My mother was called Grammie by my children and she was a wonderful Grandmother. This must be why my friend is so great.

Seriously though, being a grandparent is the most rewarding position to be in. Before my granddaughter was born, other friends who had grandchildren told me that being a grandparent was unlike anything else in the world. they were right.

Like most people, I had two sets of grandparents. I had an American set (on my mother's side) and a Portuguese set.  I have wonderful, but much different memories of both sets. The most glaring was that my Portuguese grandparents spoke no english.

Since my father's family lived in Lisbon, if they came to visit during the Holidays, it was always a "production." We children would usually be uprooted from our rooms to make space for visitors. Quite a bit of space was needed. I had my grandparents, 2 sets of Uncles and Aunts with 2 to 3 cousins. The number of cousins depended on when in the past the visit came. My youngest Portuguese cousin was born quite a bit after my two older ones.

My two older cousins were wonderful. The oldest was my age. and her younger sister was just slightly younger. I never knew exactly how old she was but, we always had fun. They learned english in school and hanging out with their American cousins was a good excuse for them to practice. I remember that the girls would constantly apologize for their poor english and we American children would apologize for our abysmal Portuguese. It must have been fun to watch us. Strangely, I remember much more of the language now that I don't need to use it than I did when I was young.

I remember my maternal grandmother well. She was a quiet woman with a sweet smile. I couldn't figure out how she always knew we were arriving at her apartment. But, there she would be, at the end of the hall with that smile; each time we got off the elevator. Of course, years later, I realized that the call bottom alerted her to our presence when we gained entrance to the building. I think that being a child and thinking it was Grandma's magic was infinitely more fun.

But, now the circle has come all the way round and I am the Grandfather. I like this position. I hope that I am as good a Granddad (Nono) as I have had in my life and as my children still have in my wife's Dad.

Let the wrapping of gifts begin!

As always...

No comments:

Post a Comment