Monday, December 30, 2013

What are your limits?


I grew up with a handicap. Because of this, I was constantly told that I could not do things. I never listened. I think, the only thing I never did was go on a ski trip. I went to a school that held regular ski trips in the winter. My older brother used to go all the time. I remember asking my mother if I could go and I received a resounding "NO!". I was told that I did not have the "coordination" to ski.

Of course I was disappointed. But, those were the times we lived in. I'm sure my mother had my best interest at heart. That incident was one of the last times I listened to "You can't do that." I just refused to let life limit me.

My parents did not think I could learn to ride a bicycle. Once again, that pesky coordination problem. Well, I had a bike with training wheels. One day when I was around 11 years old, our neighbor saw me with the bike and training wheels. I'll never forget the conversation that ensued.

Mr. W: Bobby, how old are you? (Heavy German accent)
Me: 11 (Rather sheepishly)
Mr. W: You can not ride a bicycle without those silly training wheels?
Me: No, sir. My mom says I need to use them.
Mr. W: Come with ME!

He proceeded to take me to his garage and grabbed a wrench. He removed the training wheels and informed me that he was going to teach me how to ride this bike without the silly training wheels. He asked me how I expected to learn to do anything if I didn't try.

Now this is an interesting question that stayed with me for the rest of my life. How can you learn if you don't try?

As I've said, I've been told I can't, all my life. Military school, U. S. Navy, various schools. It didn't matter. I was told that I was either limited by physical disability or intellectual deficiency.

Well, the fact is, I never let anything hold me back. I may not have won the race. I may not have made the varsity team but, I tried. By the way, I did earn a varsity letter in school. I did make it in the Navy and the fact that I write this daily would negate the intellectual deficiency argument.

I have a friend who's son is Autistic. Not only did he achieve the rank of Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America but last year, his father took him to college! No limits.

My son is autistic. Every adult who knows him has the same thing to say. They all tell me that he is a wonderful person and a hard worker. My son works very hard to fit in. He struggles with the social demands that autism make so difficult but he never gives up.

My son-in-law was wounded in Iraq. An IED has left him in constant pain. He provides for his family and doesn't take no for an answer.

Look around you. There are inspirational people all around us. They don't give up. They don't quit.

My oldest daughter was injured during Marine Corps "Boot Camp". Even when she was recommended for the medical reconditioning platoon, she begged her Senior Drill Instructor to allow her to remain with her platoon and finish training. On family day, I thanked the Senior Drill Instructor for allowing my daughter to stay with the platoon. She told me that it was really my daughter's attitude that made the decision for her. Even in pain, she never gave up.

No matter how difficult life becomes. No matter what road blocks are placed in our way, we can never give up.

My friends, I just want to remind you that out in the world, someone is having a worse day than you. No matter how bad things may seem, if you don't give up, if you keep pushing, if you keep trying, eventually you will reach your goal.

Remember this: You don't have to win the race. You just have to do your best. If you can honestly say you've done your best, you've won. The only person you have to impress is, you.

As Always...

No comments:

Post a Comment