Friday, December 27, 2013

It's Friday! (The last of the year)


Well, my friends; it's the final Friday of 2013. If I were writing for some news organization, I'm sure I would be asked to write some type of year in review article. But, this is not a news article, it's just my blog and I am told that since it's mine, I can write what I please. I promise, I will try and make it enjoyable to you all.

I've got Benny Goodman playing Mozart with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Thanks iTunes. As regular readers know, I love music. i've always been interested in the great jazz/swing artists of the 1930s-'60s. Sure, there are great jazz artists after that era but, then you start getting into a different style of music altogether.

One of my favorite movies is "The Benny Goodman Story" with Steve Allen in the title role and Donna Reed as his love interest. At one point, in order to prove that he is a "real" musician and can play "real" music, Benny agrees to attend a "Music Night" and plays Mozart's Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra in A major. Actually, the title is longer but my point is, he was flawless. By the way, all the clarinet music (except when Benny was learning) in the movie was actually played by Benny Goodman.

It's a beautiful piece of music and you would never guess that a Jazz Musician was playing it. A wonderful surprise. Life is full of wonderful surprises. sometimes they are everyday things like the smile from a child or kiss from someone you love. A card in the mail or an unexpected phone call or an impromptu slice of home made cake. All these things are surprises and they are the stuff that makes life interesting and fun.

Yes, sometimes, life's surprises can be disconcerting but, we get through the inconvenience. Imagine for a moment how boring life would be if it was the same routine day in and day out. There are no surprises and everything is predictable. I wouldn't have to write this blog but once and it would only be a few lines long.

It might go something like this:

Well, it's time for another blog. It's 11:30 AM and that is the assigned time for writing. Fortunately, the blog is the same as yesterday and the day before and the day before that. This is the 84th blog I have written and all I do is copy and paste the entire thing. No surprises here.

What would be the fun in that? You wouldn't hear anything about my likes or dislikes. Nothing about my children or grandchildren. Forget about the amazing foods we cook. We don't cook them in a world that is completely planned out.

For the good of all of us, that is not how life is. We are able to choose from the buffet that we call life and sample everything at our leisure. This I write as I take a sip of my Chocolate Doughnut flavored coffee!

My son just asked me what we should have for dinner tonight. I have no idea. It's pretty cold out and I would like something warm in my tummy. Maybe we will make some soup.

So, there are no more Fridays left in 2013 and just 4 more days and it will be a new year. Let's not dwel on what has gone on in the past year. Let's look at the new year as an opportunity for new experiences. 365 chances to make a new friend a day. 365 chances to learn something new each day. The new year means we have an entire year to love and experience life as it was meant to be experienced.

Whatever activity you choose, I hope it is something that will bring a little joy and happiness to you and everyone in your small corner of the world.

When my daughter was in New Jersey earlier this year, she admonished me to do something positive "today". Here's a news flash for the non-believers; I do something positive each and every day. I just hope that I don't just benefit myself but am a positive influence on all those around me.

Benny Goodman was a man who came from a simple working background but, through his work and decades after his death, his work is enjoyed and brings his positive spirit to those who enjoy his music. If only the same could be said about all of us.

As Always...

No comments:

Post a Comment