Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Twas the Night Before Christmas...


So, my friends, the big night has arrived. For children and adults alike, a night of wonder is upon us. This is the best part of the modern Christmas celebration.

This evening, most children will be excited to go to bed. The ritual of Christmas has begun. For many families, that ritual will begin with a Church service and a wonderful family meal. After the meal, children will be put to bed. This was always my favorite time.

Putting my children to bed on Christmas eve was always my privilege. Many of you know how dedicated I am to my children, even though they are all grown. Of course, I am absolutely over the moon for my little Granddaughter too. In an effort to carry on a family tradition, I gave a copy of "A visit by St. Nicholas" by Clement Clarke Moore to my daughter and her husband so that they could read it to their daughter on Christmas eve at bed time; just as I did for my daughter (and all the kids) when they were small.

I loved it when the children would come running out of their rooms at bed time. They would be all scrubbed clean and in their special Christmas Jammies. Christmas eve was the only night of the year that the children would be willing and almost in a hurry to get to bed.  I would have to read the poem at least twice because of the ages of the kids but the scene was always the same.

The child in question would run into the room and jump up onto the bed. I would pull the covers up to the little one's chin and tuck my victim in. The teddy bear would be found and placed in the proper position and I would get on the bed with the child. My little angel would snuggle up to me and the smile and bright eyes on that little face would make you swear that you are looking at the face of a real Angel straight from Heaven.

"OK, Read the story!" the child would beg and we would begin.

As I went through the story, I would use various voices for the different characters. If I ever forgot and used just my own voice, I would be called to task and ordered to start again. Sometimes, I would screw up the story just to be told to start over on purpose. I wanted to draw out this most special time of the evening on this special night.

Of course, we all know how the poem ends. I would finish with a hearty wave and a "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."

With that ending, my little one would give one last snuggle into the bed. Sleep was not far off. I kiss from Daddy and a whispered "I Love you the most." The light was turned off and the last child was asleep for the night.

Now, it was time for the real work to begin. We would wait an hour or so to make sure that the children were well and truly asleep and my wife and I would start to take out the hidden treasures. Most were wrapped but there were always a few that needed assembly. It usually took a good couple of hours to get everything done but, finally it was done. The gifts were neatly arranged under the tree.

Which one of us was going to stay up and stand the security watch over this treasure trove of presents for the children? My wife would take the first watch and I would take the second. The children would be up around 5 and we both needed some sleep before they got up to attack the gifts.

My oldest son especially was most surprised by the scene in the living room on Christmas morning. He would stand in the middle of the room with his mouth open in shocked surprise and exclaim; "Santa was here! He really came!" It was priceless.

After the presents were opened, we would have a breakfast and everyone would take a nap. Once we got up again, the day could begin. A great Christmas feast had to be prepared and when we were over seas, there were always guests from the ship or barracks to feed. We always had those who were away from their families over on holidays. We would even give them a small token type gift. Maybe a paperback book or some writing paper or a nice pen. We just wanted to share a little Christmas with some who otherwise would have very little.

This year, things will be much the same as years past. We no longer have to stand the watch for the security of the gifts but, I'm sure we will be up as early as ever. We will be having a nice dinner and at some time during the day, my oldest, her husband and my little granddaughter will come to visit. The little one has lots of gifts to open.

Christmas day promises to be busy and filled with festivities. Through it all, we will remember those who can not be home with their families because of duty. Whether they are standing a post on land, flying a post in the air or at sea, they are all sacrificing to keep us free and ensure that we may celebrate our Christmas in the way we care to.

If I may borrow a line from Charles Dickens: "God Bless us, Everyone!"

A very Merry Christmas to you all.

As Always...

No comments:

Post a Comment